Re: diff between incremental and archive backups

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 14:23:53 -0500

On 11/15/2015 10:28 AM, Tim Gorman wrote:
> Backups taken on a proxy absolutely do matter. Nothing is free.
> Everything adds up, and has a cost associated. There is no part of IT
> where you can wave your hand and say "Oh, that doesn't matter, it is
> free". In current IT organizations, unused CPU and RAM cannot be said
> to be "unused otherwise" due to virtualization. In fact, that's the
> main point of almost all forms of virtualization.
Tim, that is your opinion. Since neither of us is in charge of a production database, we can only speculate. The real value on the resources is assigned by the resources owner. It is my experience that the clients consider the resources on the proxy side very cheap. Yes, as late Milton Friedman has pointed out, there is no such thing as a free lunch. But not all lunches cost the same and some are more affordable than the others.
Regards
--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA