Re: diff between incremental and archive backups

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 18:15:28 -0500

Hi Tim,
What is the point in taking incremental backups from the standby database? To mitigate the impact on the production users? My position is a bit specific, because I am a high level consultant working for a backup vendor. I usually participate in the creation of the backup strategy. Also, what kind of recovery time do you expect from restoring incremental backups of a multi-TB database? The backup product that I use to suggest backup strategy is Commvault Simpana, which also includes deduplication as a part of the backup solution. So, if the client is running a multi-TB database and is doing incremental backups, what kind of SLA do they have for restore and recovery? They have to restore the entire database, since they have to restore the last full backup. And then they have to restore every incremental backup between the full backup and the point of failure. After that, they have to restore archive logs between the last incremental and the point of failure. With a multi-TB database, that sounds like a very lengthy exercise. Such strategy can be a resume generating event.
Regards