RE: WHY WHY does Oracle OEM 12c (12.1.0.5) use the following...

From: <rajendra.pande_at_ubs.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 13:50:14 +0000

As much as I understand the sentiments here – I think we are giving ORACLE an easy pass. JDK 7 does not happen in isolation and by accident. There is a clear road map. So is there a road map for OEM And they are not from different companies And JDK 7 has been out a long time – in fact as you know jdk 8 is the latest

For a long time ORACLE did not even care about the JDK that ships with the RDBMS I also agree about the black box part – but unfortunately that’s not how the corporate security apparatus work The fact that an unsecure version of JDK is sitting on the host (at least) is reason enough for getting security audit raised And this will sit there for some time without any specific date when this would remediated – because ORACLE hasn’t issued such date

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Chris Taylor Sent: Friday, November 13, 2015 8:39 AM To: Niall Litchfield
Cc: Tim Hall; Oracle-L Freelists
Subject: Re: WHY WHY does Oracle OEM 12c (12.1.0.5) use the following...

In the spirit of full ownership of crap I spew, Niall is exactly right. I updated the JRE for the OEM 12c (12.1.0.5) and immediately things started breaking. Apparently, after Java 1.7 u 85, RC4 ciphers have been removed which Grid apparently uses so you have to update some things. *sigh*

Metalink Docs of note:
How to Install and Maintain the Java SE Installed or Used with FMW 11g/12c Products (Doc ID 1492980.1) MBean Error Accessing HTTP Server Configuration in FMW Control (/em) - After Upgrading JDK (Doc ID 2049077.1)

Note 1067411.1<https://support.oracle.com/epmos/faces/DocumentDisplay?parent=DOCUMENT&sourceId=1492980.1&id=1067411.1> How To Disable Anonymous and Weak Cipher Suites in Oracle WebLogic Server
Note 1463846.1<https://support.oracle.com/epmos/faces/DocumentDisplay?parent=DOCUMENT&sourceId=1492980.1&id=1463846.1> JDK 7 BREAKS EM CONSOLE WHEN ATTEMPTING TO EDIT CONFIG FILES FMW 11.1.1.6 - 11.1.2.1
Note 1598061.1<https://support.oracle.com/epmos/faces/DocumentDisplay?parent=DOCUMENT&sourceId=1492980.1&id=1598061.1> JDK 7: OWM Fails with the Error, "This function should be called while holding treeLock"
Note 1943873.1<https://support.oracle.com/epmos/faces/DocumentDisplay?parent=DOCUMENT&sourceId=1492980.1&id=1943873.1> Latest JDK 6 or 7: Patch 17337741 Causes Error "Too few bytes (1) received from OPMN response" While Trying to Manage System Components Using FMW Control
Note 1450179.1<https://support.oracle.com/epmos/faces/DocumentDisplay?parent=DOCUMENT&sourceId=1492980.1&id=1450179.1> Solaris OS: Managed Servers of a Portal, Forms, Reports, Discoverer Installation Fail to Start with Java 7 with the Error "Unknown keyword 'useEcX963Encoding"
Note 1987534.1<https://support.oracle.com/epmos/faces/DocumentDisplay?parent=DOCUMENT&sourceId=1492980.1&id=1987534.1> IBM JDK: When Trying To Login To EM FMW Control - Error Is Returned:
                           "User is not authorized to login to WebLogic Domain. User should be part of one or more Administrative roles to be able to login"

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 6:24 PM, Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com<mailto:niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>> wrote: I suspect you underestimate the engineering effort required to ensure that that change of JVM doesn't in fact hobble anything. I mean why does anyone run apps against Oracle 11.2 - 12.1 is just a version change right :)

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 12:12 AM, Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com<mailto:christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com>> wrote: Well, that makes me feel better at least - that I'm not alone in scratching my head over it I mean. Seems crazy to ship out a product that contains significant vulnerabilities when they could re-package it with a known good java version.

Chris

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 5:33 PM, Tim Hall <tim_at_oracle-base.com<mailto:tim_at_oracle-base.com>> wrote: Well:

  1. Many (but not all) of the major security alerts around Java6 have actually been on the client side, when running the Java plugins in browser, so server side Java is not so much of a problem (insert caveats here).
  2. Cloud Control is not for public access, so...
  3. WebLogic 11g (10.3.6) is still by far the most popular version at this time. Oracle Fusion Apps is currently built on WebLogic 11g 10.3.6 using ADF 11.1.1.9. To my knowledge, it has not been migrated to WebLogic 12c yet. With that in mind, it's hardly surprising other projects have not moved forward yet.
  4. The teams in Oracle each have their own deadlines and time-to-market pressures mean they rarely use the latest products. Testing your code base against a later release of the software takes time that could be spent adding new features. This happens to all of us. :)
  5. Cloud Control is a shrink-wrapped application. You shouldn't be using it for your own stuff, so why do you care what it's built with, provided it passes your external penetration testing? I treat it like a black box.
  6. Oracle teams very rarely seem to look outside of themselves for best practices provided by other teams. As proof I offer you the database installations associated with eBusiness Suite, which don't seem to follow simple best practices that I would consider DBA101. Even if you are a good DBA, you have to check your real DBA hat in and pick up a Oracle Apps DBA hat before doing any work on them, because if you do things "correctly", the apps die. :)

This is not a defence of it, it's just an observation. I made a similar comment about Java 6 when I first installed 12.1.0.5.

https://oracle-base.com/blog/2015/06/17/oracle-enterprise-manager-cloud-control-12c-release-5-12-1-0-5-my-first-two-installations/

I too get a little frustrated by this, but it is what I've come to expect of nearly every large software vendor. Check out what's under the hood of Microsoft BizTalk Server and you will see much the same issues. It's cobbled together with loads of old bits of software, but sold as a current "enterprise" solution... :)

Cheers

Tim...

--

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

Please visit our website at
http://financialservicesinc.ubs.com/wealth/E-maildisclaimer.html for important disclosures and information about our e-mail policies. For your protection, please do not transmit orders or instructions by e-mail or include account numbers, Social Security numbers, credit card numbers, passwords, or other personal information.
--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri Nov 13 2015 - 14:50:14 CET

Original text of this message