RE: Segment growth monitoring

From: Sheehan, Jeremy <JEREMY.SHEEHAN_at_nexteraenergy.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 13:27:39 +0000

We keep track of tablespaces by a weekly process. It started with one or 2 databases, then moved into all production dbs (about 20). Eventually it turned into tables (over 1GB in size), then indexes. Now we have a running tab of tablespace, table and index growth that goes back 4+ years. It is great for looking at growth trends.

Jeremy

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Upendra nerilla Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2015 5:14 PM To: Oracle-L
Subject: Segment growth monitoring

This is an EXTERNAL email. Exercise caution. DO NOT open attachments or click links from unknown senders or unexpected email.

Hello all -
I am trying to track the growth of a few problem tables.. if there is a runaway process, they might continue to write without dying.. I looked at dba_hist_seg_stat.space_used_delta, it doesn't seem to be consistent in tracking the growth. Especially for situations like, if the table gets truncated or if there are massive deletes, this data doesn't accurately represent reality..

Any suggestions on how it could be tracked?

Worst case I am thinking of dumping the dba_segment data into a table nightly to track it. Trying to see if there are better ways to handle this.

Thanks
-Upendra

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Nov 12 2015 - 14:27:39 CET