Re: gather stats

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 18:23:46 +0000

I imagine you'll get a number of contradictory answers to this one. I'd say that *principles* that I'd recommend are

Use AUTO SAMPLE SIZE - this will be both quicker and more accurate on at least non partitioned tables

Determine a strategy involving incremental stats for partitioned objects. Allow a significant amount of time for testing.

Avoid histograms whenever *possible*. Histograms by design introduce plan instability. When it works it's great. When it doesn't however...! Note though if you follow this advice you are working against the strategic direction of the Oracle optimizer developers.

Be prepared to accept good enough stats and use plan stability/hints on a documented case by case exception basis. Getting the *perfect* strategy is beyond you - if it wasn't almost certainly auto everything would be a short cut to a great result because the optimizer would be able to get there as well.
All,

What is the recommended way of gathering stats on 11gR2 database ( 2.5 TB) . If i keep estimate percent 10,15 then some of the table are taking hours and hours .
Please let me know .

Thanks in advance.

Kart.