RE: Oracle Chargeback

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 17:31:07 -0500

The never ending argument as old as timesharing.

A few hints toward fairness: License costs center on the number of cores required to “solve” peak load. The “demand” charge for cpu might well be fairly charged more than the integrated sum of all cpu at non-peak times.

Storage acreage is usually a fixed cost, but demand i/o operations may likewise be a reasonable swag for variable cost.

It may be reasonable to roughly figure these costs without turning chargeback on, especially if licensee cost dominates as opposed to non-peak usage.

mwf

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Peter Sharman Sent: Friday, November 06, 2015 4:51 PM
To: l.flatz_at_bluewin.ch; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: Oracle Chargeback

Lothar

The biggest problem with it is not the technology. It works and it works well. However, I have seen customers argue for HOURS about what cost to put on the chargeback items. J

Pete

Oracle logo

Pete Sharman
Database Architect, DBaaS / DBLM
Enterprise Manager Product Suite
33 Benson Crescent CALWELL ACT 2905 AUSTRALIA

Phone: <tel:+61262924095> +61262924095 | | Mobile: +61414443449 Email: pete.sharman_at_oracle.com Twitter: _at_SharmanPete LinkedIn: au.linkedin.com/in/petesharman Website: petewhodidnottweet.com

Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook

"Oh no, it's not, it's much harder than that!"

Bruce Pihlamae, long term Oracle DBA

From: l.flatz_at_bluewin.ch [mailto:l.flatz_at_bluewin.ch] Sent: Friday, November 6, 2015 7:23 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Oracle Chargeback

Hi,

has anyone used that feature? Are there any pitfalls? Some of my clients are looking for consultancy in that area.

Regards

Lothar

image001.jpg