RE: What happened to SQL*Developer SQL Formatter?

From: Jeff Smith <jeff.d.smith_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 07:48:55 -0800 (PST)

Leading commas are the best, but it quickly turns to a religious discussion.

From: Jack Applewhite [mailto:jack.applewhite_at_austinisd.org] Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2015 10:47 AM To: oracle-l
Subject: Re: What happened to SQL*Developer SQL Formatter?

Commas at the beginning of a line. YAY! A kindred spirit. That's the way I've set up my Formatter for a long time. Much more readable. My basic rules are

  1. Make things (like column lists) vertical for easy scanning down, not around the bend.
  2. Punctuation on the left.

Just about everything the Duhvelopers send me gets put through the SD Formatter. Only way I can decipher their code. I've converted a few of them, but most are unmoved.

Glad to see Jeff Smith's pointing out the Export option for the Formatter preferences. I'd missed that one.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator Austin I.S.D. - MIS Department
512.414.9250 (wk)

  _____

From: HYPERLINK "mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org"oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <HYPERLINK "mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org"oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> on behalf of Niall Litchfield <HYPERLINK "mailto:niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com"niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com> Sent: Thursday, November 5, 2015 5:00 AM To: HYPERLINK "mailto:jt2354_at_gmail.com"jt2354_at_gmail.com Cc: Maris Elsins; HYPERLINK "mailto:gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com"gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com; oracle-l Subject: Re: What happened to SQL*Developer SQL Formatter?

I took your sql and ran the formatter with my preferences (commas at the beginning of a line baby!!) and got the text below. That looks pretty reasonable to me.  I know Jeff Smith reads this group so possibly he'll know if its possible to export/share preferences. If it isn't seems like a cool enhancement request to enforce corporate coding styles if nothing else.

SELECT
  end_time

, wait_class#

, (time_waited_fg)/(intsize_csec/100)

, ( time_waited)  /(intsize_csec/100)

, 0

FROM
  v$waitclassmetric

UNION ALL SELECT
  end_time

, -1

, SUM(
  CASE

    WHEN metric_name = 'CPU Usage Per Sec'

    THEN value

    ELSE 0

  END) fg

, SUM(
  CASE

    WHEN metric_name = 'Background CPU Usage Per Sec'

    THEN value

    ELSE 0

  END) bg

, SUM(
  CASE

    WHEN metric_name = 'Average Active Sessions'

    THEN value

    ELSE 0

  END) dbt

FROM
  v$sysmetric

WHERE
  group_id         = 2

  AND metric_name IN ('Background CPU Usage Per Sec', 'CPU Usage Per Sec', 'Average Active Sessions')

GROUP BY
  end_time

ORDER BY
  end_time

, wait_class#

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 9:21 AM, John Thomas <HYPERLINK "mailto:jt2354_at_gmail.com" \njt2354_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Doesn't work well though.

trailing / left hanging and long lines in SELECT or WHERE clause are not broken up so they are readable.

I like the plain and simple

FUNCTION (

    FUNC2

    (

       column_name

    )

... but have found no way of configuring SQL Dev formatter to do this. For example, the CASE statements are OK, but what happened with the functions on the SELECT list?

[...]

Regards

John

On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 at 07:08 Maris Elsins <HYPERLINK "mailto:elmaris_at_gmail.com" \nelmaris_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

It' s still there in SQL Developer 4.x, you can find it by right-clicking the SQL text in the SQL sheet or hitting Ctrl+F7.

---

Maris Elsins

HYPERLINK "https://twitter.com/MarisElsins" \n_at_MarisElsins

HYPERLINK "https://www.facebook.com/maris.elsins" \nwww.facebook.com/maris.elsins

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 7:56 AM, Mladen Gogala <HYPERLINK "mailto:gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com" \ngogala.mladen_at_gmail.com> wrote:

In version 3.x, there was a SQL Formatter in the "Edit" menu.  One keystroke would reformat horribly tangled SQL monsters. In the version 4.x, this very useful feature is gone. Why was that done? Who decided to throw this out and why? Regards

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA

-- Niall Litchfield Oracle DBA http://www.orawin.info Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including all attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential student and/or employee information. Unauthorized use of disclosure is prohibited under the federal Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. §1232g, 34 CFR Part 99, 19 TAC 247.2, Gov't Code 552.023, Educ. Code 21.355, 29 CFR 1630.14(b)(c)). If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, copy or disseminate this information. Please call the sender immediately or reply by email and destroy all copies of the original message, including attachments. -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l