Re: new (to me) install of oda x3-2

From: Jack Applewhite <jack.applewhite_at_austinisd.org>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 20:12:45 +0000

Michael,

Fuad Arshad is correct. You can't just do installs and apply patches willy-nilly on an ODA. We have two X4-2s and two X5-2s and have patched both, with both amazement and grief at the complexity of ODA patchsets. Yet they do work. ODAs are a packaged, extremely integrated engineered system with many internal dependencies. Each ODA patchset has an Ifrastructure piece (from BIOS to OS), a Grid Infrastructure piece (hugely important), and a Database piece, all of which must be applied sequentially.

You should ONLY apply ODA-specific patchsets and the MOS 888888.1 note is the place to go for that info. You'll have to follow the patch application sequence that note says to get from wherever you are to wherever you want to go.

Good luck. ODAs are very, very nice to work with, but must be handled with great care.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator Austin I.S.D. - MIS Department
512.414.9250 (wk)

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> on behalf of Michael McMullen <ganstadba_at_hotmail.com> Sent: Tuesday, November 3, 2015 5:59 AM
To: Fuad Arshad; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: new (to me) install of oda x3-2

I've read the note and that's where my confusion lies, I just want a bare-metal o/s, GI and rdbms.

I was wondering if there is an option to upgrade the o/s.

From: "Fuad Arshad" <dmarc-noreply-nopost_at_freelists.org> (Redacted sender "fuadar" for DMARC) Sent: November 2, 2015 8:17 PM
To: Michael McMullen; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: new (to me) install of oda x3-2

oda is an engineered system and you cannot just deploy Linux images in the manner right now I think oda supports oel 5.10 but you will patch to get to it read thru the ODA mos note 888888.1 which explains oda alliance software latest one is 12.1.2.5 note hasn't been updated to include it yet though

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone<https://yho.com/footer0> Yahoo Mail - The New Yahoo Mail App
With an all-new look and powerful features like lightning-fast search, multiple mailboxes and password-free sign in, the Yahoo Mail app is the best way to access your email on phone or tablet. Read more...<https://yho.com/footer0>

On Monday, November 2, 2015, 16:54, Michael McMullen <ganstadba_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

We have a x3-2 oda that is just recently being racked. It was purchased two years ago and never turned on.

I believe it has linux 5.8 but I talked to the SA's and I would like it to be oel 6.5 with 12.1.0.2 GI and 11.2.0.4 rdbms.

I'm more than a little confused about the steps involved.

I think it's

get a 12.1.??? iso from oracle that contains the oel 6.5

and then the clone files that contain the GI and rdbms files.

I'm going to open a ticket with oracle but am hoping for a quick hit from the list.

Thanks

Mike

Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including all attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential student and/or employee information. Unauthorized use of disclosure is prohibited under the federal Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. §1232g, 34 CFR Part 99, 19 TAC 247.2, Gov't Code 552.023, Educ. Code 21.355, 29 CFR 1630.14(b)(c)). If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, copy or disseminate this information. Please call the sender immediately or reply by email and destroy all copies of the original message, including attachments.