RE: restore controlfile from tag with no recovery catalog

From: Chitale, Hemant K <Hemant-K.Chitale_at_sc.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 02:17:47 +0000

You’d have to start with RESTORE CONTROLFILE FROM ‘<explicit_name_of_backuppiece_containing_the_controlfile>’

If you don’t know which backup piece it is you could discern it from the piecename (for an autobackup) and size.

Hemant K Chitale

Subject: restore controlfile from tag with no recovery catalog

Hello list,

this is on 11.2.0.4 with "No Recovery catalog" in place. I used the below command to create a special backup, so that it is not deleted by delete backup script(as our retention policy is set to 7 days).

BACKUP database FILESPERSET 1 FORMAT '/path/to/backup/file/%d_TAG_NAME_%s_%U' tag 'TAG_NAME' keep until time 'sysdate+50';

Now I want to restore using this specific backup from this TAG. I know if i have recover catalog in place, i can connect to that, and do restore controlfile from tag='TAG_NAME' but how do i do the same when no recovery catalog.

Lets says i lost everything(datafiles, redo logs, control files, spfile)...from what i under about the "keep until" clause it should encapsulate everything(datafile, controlfile, spfile if its in place)... so now if i want to restore, as my control file is gone, how do i restore from these tags ?

I tried something like below but that does not seem to work...

run {
set controlfile autobackup format for device type disk to '/path/to/backup/file/%d_TAG_NAME_%s_%p_%t_%U'; restore controlfile from autobackup validate;
}

run {
set controlfile autobackup format for device type disk to '/path/to/backup/file/%d_TAG_NAME_%s_%p_%t_%U'; restore controlfile from tag='TAG_NAME';
}

here are the RMAN config(show all) that i am using..

CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO RECOVERY WINDOW OF 7 DAYS; CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO DISK;
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO '/path/to/backup/file/%d_ctl_%F'; CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK PARALLELISM 2 BACKUP TYPE TO BACKUPSET; CONFIGURE CHANNEL DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT '/path/to/backup/file/%d_%s_%p_%t_%U';

This email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete all copies and notify the sender immediately. You may wish to refer to the incorporation details of Standard Chartered PLC, Standard Chartered Bank and their subsidiaries at https://www.sc.com/en/incorporation-details.html