RE: AIX to Linux

From: Dimensional DBA <dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 09:49:58 -0700

Streams has similar data type restrictions, so as long as you do not have those datatypes then you could use streams. However as in all cases, under high redo rates the system will fall behind.

We used the pure logical standby setup for near live patching. We had quite a few databases that generated greater than 40GB/hr of redo, that once the system was placed in logical standby mode the system simply fell behind and never caught up to be in sync.

Matthew Parker

Chief Technologist

425-891-7934 (cell)

<mailto:Dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net> Dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net

<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/matthew-parker/6/51b/944/> View Matthew
Parker's profile on LinkedIn

Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 08:20:50 -0500
From: rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com

On 2015/10/28 01:03, Dimensional DBA wrote:

If you own enough GoldenGate core licenses for source and target, then it is fairly straight forward as in the end it is really only data movement. If you don't own the licenses then it is a spendy proposition.

I briefly looked into GoldenGate last year for our (much smaller) hardware migration. Since yours is a one-time migration, a 1-year license might make more sense than a perpetual one.

Just a thought...

Rich