Unable to execute runInstaller

From: Sandra Becker <sbecker6925_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 07:54:12 -0600

I am trying to install EE 12c. I receive the error "*Could not execute auto check for display colors using command /usr/bin/xdpyinfo. Check if the DISPLAY variable is set. Failed* "

My MOS account is still pending for my new employer, so I can't research/open SR there. I've googled and found several suggestions, none of which solved my problem. Other DBAs on the team can execute runInstaller on the same server. What I've tried so far

  • Run Hummingbird Exceed
    • open a terminal window
    • export DISPLAY=<IPv4_IP_addr>:0.0
    • execute xhost +
    • open a putty session
    • su to oracle
    • export DISPLAY=<IPv4_IP_addr>:0.0
    • change to appropriate directory
    • ./runInstaller
  • Run Xming (after ensuring configuration through XLaunch)
  • open a putty session
    • su to oracle
    • export DISPLAY=<IPv4_IP_addr>:0.0
    • change to appropriate directory
    • ./runInstaller

I get the same error with both processes no matter what server I am on. I have watched another team member execute it on two different servers.

Question:

  1. Am I doing something incorrectly in my process? I followed what the other DBA gave me.
  2. Could this be a firewall or account configuration issue specific to my/my PC?
--
Sandy B.