RE: Point-In-Time

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 15:24:08 -0400

With storage as cheap as it is now I’d consider a switch to a physical standby and do a clone/rename after pausing recovery at the time they want. (This has worked since v6.0.37 or so.)

It also seems like a fine use case for Delphix technology, particularly if you might want several generations (different points in time) available at the size of one copy plus n likely small deltas instead of n full copies. (Disclosure: I have several friends there who I consider “peers of the realm” vis-à-vis Oracle technology, but no financial relationship.)

mwf

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Lyall Barbour Sent: Monday, October 12, 2015 11:23 AM
To: oracle-l
Subject: Point-In-Time

Hi,

  Our DW team has had a Logical Standby of the OLTP database they get their data from for years now. Each night, the SQL Apply on the LS stops and they get a point in time view of transactions for the day. This has been a pet peev of mine since i've started working at my current job. I'd like to change it and i thought that Oracle Flashback Query in the Primary database would get me what i want. In our testing we've been running into ORA-01466 errors often enough where we could see it being a problem with an actual implementation of our current new configuration of this work.

  Does anyone have a better way of getting what the DW team needs on a daily basis then what i've described? All they really need is a Point-In-Time view.

Lyall Barbour

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Mon Oct 12 2015 - 21:24:08 CEST

Original text of this message