RE: Needed for next oracle version: alter database add control_files

From: Mayen Shah <mshah_at_travelclick.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 13:53:30 +0000

This certainly can be helpful feature and already has been requested in past, but may be worth trying again.

Adding/dropping logfile group/member is done on “INACTIVE” group, so no process is accessing logfile. I don’t know how this could be possible for controlfile maintenance (add/drop) because controlfile(s) should be available for read/write all the time.

  • Mayen

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Michael Cunningham Sent: Friday, October 09, 2015 5:23 PM
To: LDO_at_dst.dk
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists org
Subject: Re: Needed for next oracle version: alter database add control_files

I'll vote for that enhancement.
On Oct 9, 2015 1:58 AM, "Lars Dohn" <LDO_at_dst.dk<mailto:LDO_at_dst.dk>> wrote: Hi list;

Tomorrow I’m patching 51 databases.
At the same time, I’m moving log+ctrl to new fusion-io cards. Already done logfiles (alter database add logfile; drop old logfiles etc).

To move the control files:
alter system set control_files=’new_location’ scope=spfile; shutdown;
host copy old to new location;
startup;

What I need :

alter database add control_files (‘new1’,’new2’); alter database drop control_files(‘old1’,’old2’);

Wouldn’t that be nice ☺ (no downtime).

How do I file an enhancement request?

Regards

Lars Dohn