RE: RMAN delete archivelog backed up n times deletes too much

From: Andy Baird <Andy.Baird_at_cityofthornton.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2015 18:13:05 +0000

Hi Ingrid,

Not sure if it helps, but I’ve got an 11.2.0.4.0 test system where it tries to do that, but it winds up giving me an RMAN-08138 error:

RMAN> list archivelog all;

List of Archived Log Copies for database with db_unique_name DBT

Key Thrd Seq S Low Time
------- ---- ------- - ---------

345     1    345     A 07-OCT-15
        Name: /u01/app/oracle/fast_recovery_area/DBT/archivelog/2015_10_08/o1_mf_1_345_c1d35jdl_.arc

RMAN> list archivelog all backed up 1 times to disk;

RMAN> delete archivelog all backed up 1 times to disk;

released channel: ORA_DISK_1
released channel: ORA_DISK_2
released channel: ORA_DISK_3

allocated channel: ORA_DISK_1
channel ORA_DISK_1: SID=243 device type=DISK allocated channel: ORA_DISK_2
channel ORA_DISK_2: SID=365 device type=DISK allocated channel: ORA_DISK_3
channel ORA_DISK_3: SID=12 device type=DISK RMAN-08138: WARNING: archived log not deleted - must create more backups archived log file name=/u01/app/oracle/fast_recovery_area/DBT/archivelog/2015_10_08/o1_mf_1_345_c1d35jdl_.arc thread=1 sequence=345

The file isn’t deleted and is still there. I think I’m getting the error because it is checking my RMAN configuration parameters before deleting, but I’m not sure why it’s trying to delete it in the first place either.

Thanks,
Andy Baird

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Ingrid Voigt Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 2015 5:40 AM To: ORACLE-L
Subject: RMAN delete archivelog backed up n times deletes too much

Hi everybody,

if anybody has seen something like this before any info would be helpful. This issue broke the backups on one of our more important production databases - and we only noticed by accident...:

The problem:

RMAN> list archivelog all backed up 2 times to device type 'sbt_tape'; (no archivelogs are listed)

RMAN> delete archivelog all backed up 2 times to device type 'sbt_tape'; (all archivelogs are suggested for deletion, whether backed up or not).

Oracle 11.2 on Windows 2008 R2.
Physical DataGuard, problem occurs on both primary and standby side.

Recent changes: Upgrade from 11.2.0.3 to 11.2.0.4 Current patchset: 11.2.0.4.7 (July 2014), Patch ID 18842982, Unique Patch ID 17925942 Error occurred immediately after this upgrade.

Here's how far we got troubleshooting:
- Error occurs with different values instead of "2 times"

  • Error does not occur with RMAN 11.2.0.3
  • Error does not occur on other machines with 11.2.0.4.7 (same patch ID, different unique Patch ID). (at least in all samples I've checked so far)
  • Error does not occur using RMAN 11.2.0.4.12 from different machine to this database
  • Error does occur when using RMAN 11.2.0.4.7 (same Patch ID, different unique Patch ID) from different machine to this database
  • Error does occur when using RMAN 11.2.0.4.7 from this machine to other databases

Workaround (after the initial panic subsided...):
- removed "delete archivelog" clause from standard backup script

  • scheduled separate RMAN deletion tasks. Archivelogs are now selected by using v$archived_log.backup_count. This seems to work fine. ( - ToDo: Improve backup monitoring. )

We have opened a SR but got nothing useful yet.

The obvious next suggestion is to reproduce on some test system, upgrade to the higher patch level (11.2.0.4.12) and see what happens. However, it's going to be difficult to find the necessary time and production downtime, so I thought I'd ask here first.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards
Ingrid