RE: Database Owner Question (O/S)

From: Michael McMullen <ganstadba_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 08:14:18 -0400

I know these sys admins. They're the same ones that log onto your system as root when they need to look at the server.

Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 12:57:24 +0000
From: srcdco_at_rit.edu
Subject: RE: Database Owner Question (O/S) To: niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com
CC: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

Niall,
   These are all good questions and I’ll answer them as best as I can.

1)
One of our sys admins is always right, no matter what anyone else thinks and once he gets an idea in his head, that’s the way it will be (even if
 his boss says no).
2)
According to the above mentioned sys admin, security.  Once that word is used, then everyone gets nervous and says that we have to do it because it’s
 more secure, even if it doesn’t make any difference.
3)
Storage is a SAN and its owned by the systems team.  We ask for an amount of disk and it’s supplied, with no information as to volumes or RAID type
 or anything.
4)
Typically one database per server, with only a couple of exceptions.
5)
The DBA team, which consists of two of us.  We will have the same access to all databases, which is why I question the need.

Scott Canaan ’88 (srcdco_at_rit.edu)
(585) 475-7886 – work                (585) 339-8659 – cell

“Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.” – Tom Lehrer