question re duplicate database

From: Maureen English <maureen.english_at_alaska.edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 09:36:08 -0800

We have a client where they routinely recreate test databases by running an RMAN duplicate database script. This has worked for years...until they lost
the drives on their test system where all of the test databases existed. They
don't backup their test databases because the belief is that we can just recreate
them with the RMAN duplicate database script.

The script is currently failing, saying it can't find any controlfiles. Here are the two
main commands we're using in the script.

$ORACLE_HOME/bin/rman target sys/$sys_pass_at_$source auxiliary / duplicate target database to $target nofilenamecheck;

I was under the impression that the nofilenamecheck parameter means that it doesn't
look for any files for the test database that it is going to create.

Could the error be that it can't find the production backup files to use to run the duplicate
database command? The mount points exist, and I can see the production files from the
test server, but it's completely possible that some link didn't get recreated correctly....

Any thoughts?

  • Maureen