Re: database using more memory than allocated

From: Stefan Koehler <contact_at_soocs.de>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 10:47:22 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Jeff,

> Why would the database use more memory that has been set to use.

Because memory_target does not control everything - for example structures like PL/SQL collections and PL/SQL tables. Oracle 12c has some official functionality to limit these as well, but you are still on 11g. Oracle 11g only got some undocumented event to do this (10261 - http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/availability/exadata-consolidation-522500.pdf).

Tanel Poder has written some great blog post about drilling down into PGA memory issues: http://blog.tanelpoder.com/2014/03/26/oracle-memory-troubleshooting-part-4-drilling-down-into-pga-memory-usage-with-vprocess_memory_detail/

You can crosscheck it when you have reached the 250 locations. The problem descriptions sounds like some of these locations are causing this (memory leak?) or software/data bug?

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Freelance Oracle performance consultant and researcher Homepage: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: _at_OracleSK