RE: RMAN Duplicate failing

From: Ruel, Chris <Chris.Ruel_at_lfg.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 17:26:37 +0000

The only workaround I have found for this is, once the duplicate database has been mounted with the control file, start a separate session in SQL*Plus and issue:

alter database disable block change tracking;

In my experience, the duplication will complete successfully after doing this.

This seems to be a new issue with 11gR2 databases. Or, there is a new procedure to avoid it that has thus far escaped me.

I am not sure if it enables BCT automatically. In my case, it is always enabled per our standards.

Would love to know if there is a better way.

Chris..

Chris Ruel * Oracle Database Administrator * Lincoln Financial Group cruel_at_lfg.com<mailto:cruel_at_lfg.com> * Desk:317.759.2172 * Cell 317.523.8482

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Mandal, Ashoke Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 1:16 PM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RMAN Duplicate failing

Deal All,

I am trying to duplicate a 11.2.0.3 database but it is failing with the following error. I was successful in doing RMAN duplicate of the same database when it was at Oracle 10.2.0.4.

I didn’t enable ‘BLOCK CHANGE TRACKING’ feature in this database.

Q1. If it was enabled while it was still at 10g then why the duplicate worked fine at that time and failing now when the database is at 11g?

Q2. Does the upgrade scripts automatically enable ‘BLOCK CHANGE TRACKING’ feature while upgrading the database from 10.2.0.4 to 11.2.0.3?

Q3. Is there way to verify when and how ‘BLOCK CHANGE TRACKING’ feature was enabled?

Q4. If statement in Q2 is not true then what are other means of enabling ‘BLOCK CHANGE TRACKING’ feature?

Q5. As per some Oracle note it recommends to disable the feature and then run the RMAN duplicate but even after I have disabled the ‘BLOCK CHANGE TRACKING’ RMAN duplicate is still failing the same error.

Q6. Any idea how to address this issue?

RMAN-03002: failure of Duplicate Db command at 09/29/2015 14:10:29

RMAN-05501: aborting duplication of target database

RMAN-03015: error occurred in stored script Memory Script

ORA-00283: recovery session canceled due to errors

RMAN-11003: failure during parse/execution of SQL statement: alter database recover logfile '/phxdmasd3/uarchive/dtwdmas/dtwdmas_70408_1_595505569.arc'

ORA-00283: recovery session canceled due to errors

ORA-19755: could not open change tracking file

ORA-19750: change tracking file: '/phx10db1/uflashback/TWDMAS/rman_change_track.f'

ORA-27037: unable to obtain file status

SVR4 Error: 2: No such file or directory

Additional information: 3

Thanks,

Ashoke
[CONFIDENTIALITY AND PRIVACY NOTICE] - Applied from EOP Information transmitted by this email is proprietary to Medtronic and is intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is private, privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this information in any manner is strictly prohibited. In such cases, please delete this mail from your records. To view this notice in other languages you can either select the following link or manually copy and paste the link into the address bar of a web browser: http://emaildisclaimer.medtronic.com Notice of Confidentiality: **This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Lincoln National Corporation proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to the Lincoln National Corporation family of companies. This E-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and any printout. Thank You.**