Database Smart Flash Cache Size Metrics

From: Mark Burgess <mark_at_burgess-consulting.com.au>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 12:03:50 +1000

Oracle 11.2.0.4 on Solaris 11.2 x86. Database servers provisioned in solaris zones.

We have deployed the DB Smart Flash Cache on Oracle F80 PCI flash cards. There is 1.2T of flash storage provisioned to one of the database server zones. The flash devices are presented as raw devices to an ASM disk group for that particular database server zone.

We want to be able to answer the simple question of whether we have over-allocated DBFC to this database or not. I want to know what the high water mark for the DBFC is and whether we need to have the current allocation or reduce it (the flash storage can be put to use on another db zone sharing the same infrastructure).

I have reviewed all the available documentation and MOS notes and there does not appear to be any metrics that tell us the high water mark of the DBFC. There are metrics that report how the DBFC is used in terms of hits, misses etc. Have I missed something or is this just not captured and reported by Oracle?

Cheers,

Mark