RE: dataguard and operators

From: Laimutis Nedzinskas <laimutis.nedzinskas_at_statoilfuelretail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 13:10:16 +0000

> If properly configured, data guard broker is absolutely the way to go.

Second that.
Just do not forget that reinstate the former primary as a new standby is another story.

That part is easy anyway. It’s pretty interesting how the rest is managed: all kinds of scheduled (crontab) jobs, scripts if any, backups. Last but the biggest: application failover, hehehe. Database can switch, np. What about applications, hm?

/Laimis N

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Andrew Kerber Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 3:50 PM To: nmjamaleddin_at_multiservice.com
Cc: giantpanda_at_gmx.net; howard.latham_at_gmail.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: dataguard and operators

If properly configured, data guard broker is absolutely the way to go. The commands are simply 'switchover to standbyname;', 'failover to standbyname;' I don't have a good email here at the office, but I have doc I put together on this that I can send this evening if you want.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 22, 2015, at 7:16 AM, Nabil Jamaleddin <nmjamaleddin_at_multiservice.com<mailto:nmjamaleddin_at_multiservice.com>> wrote: 1st level support doing a DG switchover….RAC might be a better solution. And I am pretty sure that if I was the DBA I would want to be awake for this unless 1st level support really knows what they are doing, but if they did, would they still be 1st level support?

Performing a Database Switchover. A switchover provides the ability for the primary to go back and forth

  • On Primary Database CONNECT / AS SYSDBA ALTER DATABASE COMMIT TO SWITCHOVER TO STANDBY; SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE; STARTUP NOMOUNT; ALTER DATABASE MOUNT STANDBY DATABASE; ALTER DATABASE RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE DISCONNECT FROM SESSION;
On the original standby database issue the following commands to convert standby database to primary CONNECT / AS SYSDBA
ALTER DATABASE COMMIT TO SWITCHOVER TO PRIMARY; SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE;
STARTUP; OR can do a failover, but this is not as forgiving as a switchover.

Failover. Just like it sounds, failover because the primary is not responding. --On the standby database
ALTER DATABASE RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE FINISH; ALTER DATABASE ACTIVATE STANDBY DATABASE; From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Ingrid Voigt Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 6:58 AM To: howard.latham_at_gmail.com<mailto:howard.latham_at_gmail.com>; oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Aw: dataguard and operators

Hi,

I'd like to second this request. My company is currently introducing 7x24 service hours for the first level support people, they are supposed to be able to solve as many things as possibly using critical problem checklists without waking up the DBAs. This will include general database troubleshooting and DG switchover (we are still fighting...)

Thanks
Ingrid Voigt

Gesendet: Dienstag, 22. September 2015 um 12:10 Uhr Von: "Howard Latham" <howard.latham_at_gmail.com<mailto:howard.latham_at_gmail.com>> An: ORACLE-L <oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org>> Betreff: dataguard and operators
Oracle 11 Redhat 4E

My boss wants scripts /instructions so 'any fool ' can do a dataguard switchover. I think that's hard if not impossible as you can't predict what is going to happen How many of you have successfully handed this over to an operator? And if you have can I see example scripts please?

--
Howard A. Latham

This email is intended solely for the use of the addressee and may

contain information that is confidential, proprietary, or both.

If you receive this email in error please immediately notify the

sender and delete the email.