Re: AWR

From: Vishal Gupta <vishal_at_vishalgupta.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 15:50:16 +0100

Worth reading following on Oracle support site.

AWR Interpretation
A video entitled: "Introduction to Performance Analysis Using AWR and ASH" is available here providing a comprehensive guided tour using an actual problem.

Document 1628089.1 AWR Report Interpretation Checklist for Diagnosing Database Performance Issues Document 1359094.1 How to Use AWR reports to Diagnose Database Performance Issues

Document 786554.1 How to Read PGA Memory Advisory Section in AWR and Statspack Reports Document 754639.1 How to Read Buffer Cache Advisory Section in AWR and Statspack Reports.

Document 762526.1 How to Interpret the OS stats section of an AWR report Document 1466035.1 How to Interpret the "SQL ordered by Physical Reads (UnOptimized)" Section in AWR Reports (11.2 onwards)

Regards,
Vishal Gupta

From: <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> on behalf of Jonathan Lewis Reply-To: <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> Date: Friday, 4 September 2015 09:54
To: "oracle-l_at_freelists.org"
Subject: RE: AWR

Bearing in mind the enormous overlap between the AWR report and the old Statspack reports, it's still worth reading the document Oracle published in 2001 about the method. (Some of the details are outdated, of course, and there are a number of omissions - but I'd still rate it as a good starting point). http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/focus-areas/performance/statspack-opm4-134117.pdf

Apart from that, you'll find loads of articles and examples on the Internet about reading Statspack/AWR reports - I've got a catalogue of a number I wrote (plus a few others) here: https://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/statspack-examples/

I don't think you're ever likely to find a thorough treatment of AWR online, there's just too much information that you have to collate for anything but the most trivial cases (and you'll probably find several examples of those online very easily), the key thing is to understand the principles - and the pdf from Oracle hits the high notes on those perfectly well. (This link on my list covers perhaps the most critical detail that isn't in the original note: https://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/2008/02/18/analysing-statspack/ )

Regards
Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com
_at_jloracle
From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] on behalf of Michael Calisi [oracle455_at_gmail.com] Sent: 03 September 2015 18:42
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: AWR

Anyone recommend a documentation that can help with reading/understanding AWR/ASH reports.

Thanks