RE: Critical DBA Skills

From: Nabil Jamaleddin <nmjamaleddin_at_multiservice.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 08:52:03 -0500

I like the term “Critical” because I would be critical of any dba who could not do 1-10. I am on the fence about 11.

The list is well thought out. I would however replace 11 with something like understanding some of the oracle background processes or memory structures or how to size an SGA, etc. I would combine backup and restore and then get the list back up to a top 10.

Just my $0.02

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Andrew Kerber Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2015 8:39 AM To: sacrophyte_at_gmail.com
Cc: ORACLE-L
Subject: Re: Critical DBA Skills

I used the term critical because it seemed appropriate. I suppose you could say most important, very important, or multiple other synonyms. In any case, the difference is not critical. :)

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 15, 2015, at 8:08 AM, Charles Schultz <sacrophyte_at_gmail.com> wrote:

This could turn into a very interesting conversation. Jumping ahead to the next question, how would one ascertain if these skills have been achieved? For instance, let us say you are hiring a candidate DBA - do you have them perform all 11 (or whatever the current number is) tasks as part of the interview? Can they be credentialed? Certified?

Or in other words, what is the point of calling these "critical"? (playing the Devil's advocate here *grin*)

I know Dan Morgan at one point had a dream of applying strict standards to DBAs, not unlike other professions like doctors. I am sure others have had similar thoughts over the decades. Is there a need to standardize DBA skills? Is there a need to have a piece of paper that says you passed a test? What problem are we trying to solve?

I appreciate that you opened the door. Let's see what's on the other side. :)

PS - I would tie this into the OT discussion about digital or open badges, which some want to see replace resumes.

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 7:59 AM, Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Last night I put up a blog post at dbakerber.wordpress.com on 11 critical skills for the beginning DBA. I plan to follow up by covering each skill in more detail. I would also be interested in comments from others on this list on what they consider critical DBA skills. You are welcome to comment on my blog, or respond (privately, unless others think this might be a useful discussion on the list) to me with your thoughts.

Sent from my iPad--

Charles Schultz

--

This email is intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary, or both. If you receive this email in error please immediately notify the sender and delete the email.

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue Sep 15 2015 - 15:52:03 CEST

Original text of this message