OT: Oracle functions for SQlite

From: Stéphane Faroult <sfaroult_at_roughsea.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 19:30:24 -0500

I don't know if there are many people on the list using SQLite, but I use it more and more often; teaching SQL is one reason (give a master file to students, and let them create, drop tables, run DML at will without any worry, and no need to bother about having a conveniently set server), another one is consulting, whenever I'd *like* to store some data but I am either unauthorized or unwilling to create my stuff on the database I'm working on. Great also for implementing the poor man's performance pack - dump your v$ every so often to a SQLite file, and you have something far more flexible than statspack. The only snag is that SQLite is a bit weak function-wise. I have last spring given as assignment to the students in one of my classes the writing for SQLite of functions available in other products. Making everything homogeneous, writing a few functions I couldn't decently ask of undergraduates (even if I usually set the bar rather high), substituting my own date functions to the standard Unix ones so as to have the same behavior as Oracle in October 1582 and so forth has been a huge endeavor (not finished), it may still be a bit rough here and there but I have started publishing this collective effort as an open source library.

It's at http://sqlite-libs.cis.ksu.edu/

There isn't EVERYTHING, but all the classic functions are there.

Enjoy.

Stéphane Faroult