Re: Extended RAC on SE

From: Mark Brinsmead <mark.brinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 16:52:32 -0600

Ummmm...

If I recall correctly the list price for SE1 used to be $5,000 per processor, but the Oracle Store right now is showing a list price of $17,500 per processor for SE2. Isn't that the same price as Standard Edition proper?

Oh, my. Looking at this
<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/oracle-database-editions-wp-12c-1896124.pdf> it looks like SE2 is replacing *both* Standard Edition One *and* Standard Edition (proper). The only editions mentioned in this document are SE2 and EE ! It looks like we are now seeing the prices of Standard Edtion (or maybe a little more -- did Standard Edition not cost $15,000 per CPU?) with the restrictions of SE-1 (two sockets per server).

There also seems to be no mention of RAC being offered with any edition other than EE now.

And it does indeed look like the minimum number of named users has been increased from 5 per processor to 10 per processor, too. Although I only infer that from the Oracle Store, which states 10 named users as the minimum purchase.

Wow. I had long been expecting Oracle to do something about the huge (and growing) price disparity between EE and SE1. What I had hoped to see was something that made EE more affordable. I guess not.

I am rather hoping that what I seem to be seeing here is not the complete story. Somebody please tell that is so.