Re: Monitoring emails

From: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 14:47:23 -0500

I think most of us have been on both sides of this. My observations are that it is most important to clearly identify and minimize the number of critical alerts, and make sure the non-criticals are sufficiently important that they do deserve an email.

Some places I have been have considered all non-production alerts as non-critical. Others may consider non-prod critical during business hours.

I like fairly extensive notifications myself, but with the criticals being fairly rare. If you do set up with extensive alerting, its important to make sure you do review those emails. After all there is a reason why you are sending them. Typically I will review my non-criticals 2-3 times per day, with any criticals receiving immediate attention.

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 2:22 PM, Mayen Shah <mshah_at_travelclick.com> wrote:

> Your main goal should be to identify an act upon critical issues in your
> environment. Of course there will be informational alerts/emails.
>

> Imagine few hundred alerts (minimum 1 minute per alert) * n number of
> DBAs. Is it really productive? And among all the noise likelihood of
> missing critical alerts are very high. One can argue that he/she ignore or
> do not act upon x% of alerts. I am of the opinion that if you ignore any
> alert, it is not worth alerting on.
>

> I have worked in environment where we will categorize alerts into
> informative, warning, critical and emergency. Setup rules so emails are
> organized and emergency and critical alerts are not missed.
>

> Thanks
>
> Mayen

Andrew W. Kerber