RE: Monitoring emails

From: Peter Sharman <pete.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 12:08:06 -0700 (PDT)

Might also be worth re-reading Kellyn’s post on this - http://dbakevlar.com/2013/12/em12c-managing-incidents-stopping-the-insanity-part-iii/.

Pete

Pete Sharman
Database Architect, DBaaS / DBLM
Enterprise Manager Product Suite
33 Benson Crescent CALWELL ACT 2905 AUSTRALIA

Phone: HYPERLINK "tel:+61262924095"+61262924095 | | Fax: HYPERLINK "fax:+61262925183"+61262925183 | | Mobile: +61414443449  Email: HYPERLINK "mailto:pete.sharman_at_oracle.com"pete.sharman_at_oracle.com  Twitter: @SharmanPete  LinkedIn: au.linkedin.com/in/petesharman Website: petewhodidnottweet.com

  _____

Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook

"Oh no, it's not, it's much harder than that!"

Bruce Pihlamae, long term Oracle DBA

  _____

From: Alfredo Abate [mailto:alfredo.abate_at_gmail.com] Sent: Saturday, August 29, 2015 5:02 AM
To: veeeraman_at_gmail.com
Cc: ORACLE-L <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: Monitoring emails

Ram,

The important question is how many are Critical alerts vs Warning alerts?  I would think if you are getting 100s of Ciritcal alerts there is a problem.  :)  I can see getting Warning alerts frequently but perhaps you filter those to go to different folder, etc that can be reviewed a few times per day.

For us we get Warning alerts throughout the day (maybe 25 - 100) and Critical alerts very few if any per day.  It all depends what is important to you and the team managing the databases.  This is where trying to find a good balance between being proactive towards preventing something and general "noise" can become an art as much as it is a science.

Alfredo

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 1:10 PM, Ram Raman <HYPERLINK "mailto:veeeraman_at_gmail.com"veeeraman_at_gmail.com> wrote:

List,

How many automated emails do listers get from all the databases that are being monitored on a daily basis?

We get a few hundred emails a day (<100 DBs), but some new members here feel that is too many and want us to cut down on that. I personally feel that most of the messages are relevant to us.

Thanks

Ram.