RE: OEM Licenses

From: Peter Sharman <pete.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 13:09:35 -0700 (PDT)

Neil

We have many customers that have multiple EM installations in their environments.  The reasons for that might include:

·         Having a dev/test environment so they can test patches

·         Having separate environments for separate business units – this one is a more political decision than technical, as you can control access with privileges instead but some customers have been forced down this route by business rules not technical ones.

·         Network separations that mean one EM environment cannot reach all targets – generally this one can be addressed by proxy settings but not all the time.

Having said that, there is no reason (other than those just mentioned) that I can think of for multiple EM environments, and certainly no reason for per instance environments at all.  That is the arena of EM Database Express, not EM Cloud Control.

From a licensing perspective, providing you are following the guidelines in section 1.5 of the doc, you should be good to go with multiple environments.  BUT keep in mind my comments above. J

Pete

Pete Sharman
Database Architect, DBaaS / DBLM
Enterprise Manager Product Suite
33 Benson Crescent CALWELL ACT 2905 AUSTRALIA

Phone: HYPERLINK "tel:+61262924095"+61262924095 | | Fax: HYPERLINK "fax:+61262925183"+61262925183 | | Mobile: +61414443449  Email: HYPERLINK "mailto:pete.sharman_at_oracle.com"pete.sharman_at_oracle.com  Twitter: @SharmanPete  LinkedIn: au.linkedin.com/in/petesharman Website: petewhodidnottweet.com

  _____

Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook

"Oh no, it's not, it's much harder than that!"

Bruce Pihlamae, long term Oracle DBA

  _____

From: Neil Chandler [mailto:neil_chandler_at_hotmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 6:10 PM To: ORACLE-L <Oracle-L_at_freelists.org> Subject: OEM Licenses

L’s,

License question... with OEM Cloud Control 12C you get a free restricted-use license to use OEM across your oracle estate. You can’t use DG or RAC that without considerable outlay fully licensing the redundant nodes.

How many full OEM installs are you allowed to create before it becomes licensable? One for the entire estate? One per data centre? One per instance?

Regards

Neil Chandler