Re: init.ora rolling restart

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 07:56:17 -0700

> For a RAC install (11gR2 on RH Linux) are there any non-dynamic init.ora
> parameters that CANNOT be changed via a rolling restart? The only one I can
> think of off the top of my head is CLUSTER_DATABASE. I ask because we have a
> number of changes to make for primarys and standbys to become consistent and
> avoiding downtime would make the whole change order process a lot simplier and
> quicker.

David,

I've done some research on this because it's a big headache for us. Once we put a RAC database into production, we intend to keep it up until it's decommissioned in approximately 5 years. But these "stubborn" parameters, if we have to change their values, pose a challenge.

From `find' and `grep' documentation, I found 13 documented parameters to be static, instance-nonmodifiable in 11gR2:

ACTIVE_INSTANCE_COUNT
CLUSTER_DATABASE_INSTANCES
COMPATIBLE
CONTROL_FILES

DB_BLOCK_SIZE
DB_DOMAIN
DB_FILES
DB_NAME
DB_UNIQUE_NAME

INSTANCE_TYPE
PARALLEL_EXECUTION_MESSAGE_SIZE
REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE
UNDO_MANAGEMENT See
http://yong321.freeshell.org/oranotes/StaticInstanceNonmodifiableParameters.txt for a full description.

There's no dictionary view or fixed table that provides this information. An enhancement request has been opened.

Yong Huang