Re: Oracle DB performance tuning training

From: Raza Siddiqui <raza.siddiqui_at_oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 10:34:59 -0700

Poor Deborah - I guess this vibrant thread has posed more questions than answers you needed.

The answer ANY DBA is likely to give you for any question posed is first - "it depends" ! After all, we all know what DBA really stands for, right - Don't Bother Asking. Besides sounding a little flippant, there's some sense in it.

Seriously, gone are the days of designing SQL code on set RULES (for the optimiser to evaluate), evolving into COST basis. As the RDBMS engine has further evolved, we are told to write the code and the "system" will evaluate the optimal execution plan. We no longer need to have distinct databases (DWH, OLTP, Hybrid etc), and of course data volumes have ballooned whilst hardware resources have correspondingly improved vastly.

We go back to the old axiom, "prevention is better than a cure", ie good design, and Developer & DBA teams being in sync with both user / business / system requirements and available resources. I know many will accuse this statement of being idealistic, but that is why Design, Development, Testing, Implementation theories exist.

Checking out.

On Aug 22, 2015, at 5:41, Stéphane Faroult <sfaroult_at_roughsea.com> wrote:

>>> From my field experience with clients - they usually take the following from such a class:
>>>
>>> 1) End user complains about performance
>>> 2) Look at top wait events in graphical representation in EM or top section in AWR in this time window
>>> 3) Analzye and reduce it with the mentioned and trained tools