Re: Oracle DB performance tuning training

From: Stefan Koehler <contact_at_soocs.de>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 20:32:42 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

> I teach the Oracle University classes and yes, much of the material is focused on the tools (with a heavy focus on Enterprise Manager and Sql
> Developer) developed by Oracle. Unless your job consists only of performance tuning and you have lots of spare time to do everything manually, using
> the tools for as much as possible is a good and necessary thing.

Sorry, but i totally disagree in this point. I regularly see how these fency tools are used in the field and how the data is interpreted in relation to the performance issue. It is not a question of doing things manually or the tools itself. It is a question of the methodology and understanding (the source of) the data in relation to the issue.

This is one of the main reasons for me to suggest the class by Method-R, Cary Millsap. Afterwards you know what performance is about and how to collect, process and interpret the performance data correctly.

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Freelance Oracle performance consultant and researcher Homepage: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: _at_OracleSK