Re: Oracle DB performance tuning training

From: Seth Miller <sethmiller.sm_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 12:55:23 -0500

Deborah,

Oracle Database Performance Tuning is a large topic and only so much can be covered in a 2-5 day course. What you want to learn and how deep you want to go will have a large influence on the course you will want to take.

Many of us on this list are instructors and we all have different ways of teaching the material with varying levels of experience. In my opinion, your instructor will have the biggest influence on the volume and value of the information you retain.

I teach the Oracle University classes and yes, much of the material is focused on the tools (with a heavy focus on Enterprise Manager and Sql Developer) developed by Oracle. Unless your job consists only of performance tuning and you have lots of spare time to do everything manually, using the tools for as much as possible is a good and necessary thing.

When I teach classes, I try to engage the students as much as possible and adapt the material to their environment and how they learn best. Not all instructors are able or willing to do this so it is very advantageous for you to know who your instructor will be, the knowledge and experience level of that instructor, and the previous experience of students that have taken classes taught by that instructor.

Seth Miller