Re: awr

From: Mark Brinsmead <mark.brinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 00:08:31 -0600

Lots of vendors will ask for an AWR report, either out of ignorance for the fact that AWR reports are a separately licensed feature or (sometimes) as a lazy short-hand for "An AWR report or a StatsPack report." (I suspect that I have occasionally been guilty of the latter, myself.)

For many (most?) porposes, StatsPack reports still provide *almost* as much information as AWR reports -- the data is just not gathered (anywhere near) as efficiently, nor is it packaged as nicely.

If you have a production database (regardless of edition) for which Diagnostics Pack is not licensed (that still seems to be the majority of databases) it is probably a VERY good idea to install StatsPack, and gather snapshots at regular intervals. When a vendor (or Oracle Support) asks for an AWR report, just give them a StataPack report instead, and explain (if necessary) that this is all they are going to get. A StatsPack report will usually give your vendor what they are looking for.

Note that Oracle Support will occasionally do the same thing. They might even tell you (as they have told *me* in the past) that it is "okay" to run an AWR report for them when they request it. That is incorrect; the OLSA contains no language to support that claim. NEVER run an AWR report unless you are licensed to do so.

---

By the way, AWR is *always* installed.   To the best of my knowledge, it
still cannot be removed.