Re: output from script into email

From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 11:47:43 -0400

I'm maintaining scripts that get distributed and used across a variety of linux distributions and send output to admins who use outlook, thunderbird, mobile and some miscellaneous email clients like Claws Mail.

Few tips from my experience:
1) i use sendmail directly for better portability on linux; the "mail" program varies on different linux platforms (even say RH5 vs RH6) 2) i write headers directly bc sendmail requires it. as Mark says, i strongly recommend writing messages that are correct (header and body) according to spec. then you should be fine even if someone comes along with a new client in the future.
3) personally i prefer having the output directly in the body of the message rather than an attachment. little easier to write a correctly formatted email and less clicks in some email clients. 4) protip - use sed/awk to put two spaces at the beginning of each line and outlook will treat the lines as "text" - it won't collapse any of them together. but it won't be a monospace font, so you can't do any multi line formatting that depends on columns lining up.

--
http://about.me/jeremy_schneider