Re: Oracle 12.1.0.2, RHEL 7 and XFS issue

From: Martin Bach <development_at_the-playground.de>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 17:13:02 +0200

Hi Uwe,

On 30/07/15 21:14, "Uwe Küchler" wrote:
> Dear fellows of the Oracle,
>
> From Red Hat and Oracle Linux 7 onwards, XFS is the default file system of
> the OS.
> At a customer site, XFS was already the preferred file system, so the
> customer chose to stick to it for a new VM with OL7 and Oracle 12.1.0.2.

I think this is a key points - "stick it on a VM". You didn't mention which one, and what type of virtualisation (PVM, HVM, HVM with PV drivers, ...). It might be that you get contention on I/O outside the VM so depending on your product you should have a look at the overall host settings. In addition to contention on hardware you might see QoS turned on throttling you down.

I have only positive experience with XFS, in my lab it proved far superior to ext4 even on my very old and slow hardware:

https://martincarstenbach.wordpress.com/2014/10/31/interesting-observations-executing-slob2-with-ext4-and-xfs-on-ssd/

I can only second the other points mentioned by Stefan.

Hope that helps,

Martin

--
Martin Bach