RE: LISTENER problems

From: Pete Sharman <pete.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 08:46:12 +1000

Gus

The obvious problem is the (HOST=) line. However, you had the host mentioned on the previous line, which may be a red herring. A couple of things I would try/ See if there are any process names like “tns” left around (ps –ef | grep tns). If so, kill them. Also, try swapping the host names in your listener.ora to IP addresses. If that works, it would likely be a DNS configuration issue. If it doesn’t, send me the listener.ora (offline if you like) so I can have a further look at it.

Pete

Pete Sharman
Database Architect, DBaaS / DBLM
Enterprise Manager Product Suite
33 Benson Crescent CALWELL ACT 2905 AUSTRALIA

Phone: <tel:+61262924095> +61262924095 | | Fax: <fax:+61262925183> +61262925183 | | Mobile: +61414443449 Email: <mailto:pete.sharman_at_oracle.com> pete.sharman_at_oracle.com Twitter: @SharmanPete LinkedIn: au.linkedin.com/in/petesharman Website: petewhodidnottweet.com

Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook

"Oh no, it's not, it's much harder than that!"

Bruce Pihlamae, long term Oracle DBA

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Gus Spier Sent: Sunday, July 26, 2015 2:43 AM
To: oracle-l <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: LISTENER problems

I had inherited an unserviceable Oracle Enterprise Manager:Cloud Control and I've been trying to repair and recondition it so that it is useful. I can't get very far because the OMR listener has issues.

HP DL360

linux 2.6

Oracle 11.2.0.3

I suspect the origin point of these problems was the aborted attempt to add OEM:Ops Center repository to the same database host. My theory is that the Ops Center install overwrote code/configuration files for the Cloud Control.

The immediate difficulty is getting lsnrctl to work. Any lsnrctl command, stop, status, or start, gives the same result:

TNSLSNR for Linux: Version 11.2.0.3.0 - Production System parameter file is /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0.listener.ora Log messages written to /u01/app/oracle/diag/tnslsnr/w3opsoem01/listener/alert/log.xml Listening on (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=w3opsoem01.<fully qualified domain name>)(PORT=1521)))

Connecting to (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=)(PORT=1521))

TNS-12535: TNS:operation timed out
TNS-12560: TNS: protocol adapter error
TNS-00505: Operation timed out

As you an see, the listener fails to connect to any HOST.

I have edited the listener.ora file. I've checked the /etc/hosts file. I have established tcp communications (ping -s -v) between the database host and OMS host and other hosts on the network.

I killed the listener process (kill -9 PID) when lsnrctl stop failed to work, but to no avail. I suspect that lsnrctl performs other commands besides simply killing the listener process but I do not know what they are. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get past this?

Thanks,

Gus

image001.jpg