Re: Migrate EBS 11i 11gR2 Solaris database to 12c Linux

From: Biju Thomas <biju.thomas_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 13:07:24 -0500

Thanks Maris. Yes, 11i is a problem. Even for R12, this blog says "Full transportable export/import, a new feature in 12c to move an entire database, is not certified for use with E-Business Suite databases yet. "

Biju Thomas

<http://about.me/biju.thomas>

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 1:02 PM, Maris Elsins <elmaris_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry you're on 11i :/
> On Jul 22, 2015 21:02, "Maris Elsins" <elmaris_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I didn't have more time to look into it but take s look at this, looks
>> like exactly what you needed!
>>
>> https://blogs.oracle.com/stevenChan/entry/oracle_e_business_suite_r121
>>
>> Maris
>> On Jul 22, 2015 20:24, "Biju Thomas" <biju.thomas_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello experts,
>>>
>>> We have a project to migrate and upgrade EBS 11i 11gR2 database.
>>>
>>> The requirement is:
>>>
>>> *Source:*
>>> EBS 11i - 11.5.10.2 RUP6
>>> Oracle DB - 11.2.0.3 (non-RAC)
>>> DB OS - Solaris 10
>>> Database size - ~4TB (about 1TB is SYSTEM, SYSAUX, TEMP, UNDO, etc)
>>>
>>> *Requirement (migration/upgrade)*
>>> EBS R12 - 12.1.3
>>> Oracle DB - 12c 12.1.0.2 (RAC)
>>> DB OS - Linux OEL 6 x86-64
>>>
>>> I have been reviewing the following MOS notes:
>>>
>>> Using Transportable Tablespaces for EBS 11i Using Database 11gR2 (Doc ID
>>> 1366265.1)
>>> 11G - Reduce Transportable Tablespace Downtime using Cross Platform
>>> Incremental Backup (Doc ID 1389592.1)
>>> 12C - Reduce Transportable Tablespace Downtime using Cross Platform
>>> Incremental Backup (Doc ID 2005729.1)
>>>
>>> We want to do the R12 upgrade on the new Linux platform, because it has
>>> better CPU and memory configuration.
>>>
>>> If this was a non-EBS database, the platform migration and upgrade of
>>> 11gR2 to 12cR1 would be much easier. MOS note says "Cross Platform
>>> Incremental Backup is not certified to work with an EBS database." I am not
>>> sure why...
>>>
>>> Looks like we will have to go with:
>>> 1. Migrate database to Linux 11gR2 to 11gR2 [downtime duration depends
>>> on time required to copy the data files after making the tablespaces read
>>> only]
>>> 2. Upgrade database to 12c [downtime required]