TAF with Oracle RAC

From: Chris King <ckaj111_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 17:23:17 +0000

Hi All!
I noticed that with RAC, if user sessions are active, and one node fails, the sessions connected to that node first throw errors, and then automatically reconnect to the other node. I was expecting there would be no error, just continuous connectivity.

So, to address this issue, I have configured TAF on the client side. Here is the tnsnames.ora entry: mydb =  (DESCRIPTION =    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL =TCP)(HOST = my.scan.listener )(PORT = 1521)    )    (CONNECT_DATA =      (SERVER = DEDICATED)      (SERVICE_NAME=mydb.domain)      (FAILOVER_MODE =        (TYPE = SELECT)        (METHOD = PRECONNECT)     )    )  ) I then opened a session to RAC and stopped the instance which the session was connected to, but there was no change in behaviour. I got an ORA-03113 at the client connection when I reissued the select statement, and then reissuing the select again gave me normal output. Is this just the way RAC works or am I missing something? Am I using TAF properly? Should a select statement just continue with a delay but no error when the node it's connected to goes down? Thanks in advance!-ck