Re: Curiosity: single-column index on sparse data cannot be built in parallel

From: Randolf Geist <info_at_www.sqltools-plusplus.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 23:10:31 +0200

Hi Charles,

now I'm curious, too, because setting CPU_COUNT explicitly (Instance Caging) doesn't make a lot of sense if you don't enable Resource Manager, otherwise I don't think the CPU usage will actually be constrained.

See this document:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/performance/instance-caging-wp-166854.pdf

which also contains a couple of queries you could use to see if Resource Manager is active and throttles CPU in some way.

Note that if you have (default) maintenance windows defined in the Scheduler, then for the periods these windows are active the Resource Manager might become activated, which could confuse the issue even further (so depending on when you run your tests the Resource Manager might be temporarily enabled or not).

Randolf