RE: Oracle 12c Pluggable Databases

From: Ruel, Chris <Chris.Ruel_at_lfg.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 13:10:21 +0000

We had similar questions as you did. Our Oracle rep pointed us to this:

Oracle Support Document 2001512.1 (Creating A Container Database (CDB) With A Subset Of Options) can be found at: https://support.oracle.com/epmos/faces/DocumentDisplay?id=2001512.1

Chris Ruel * Oracle Database Administrator * Lincoln Financial Group cruel_at_lfg.com<mailto:cruel_at_lfg.com> * Desk:317.759.2172 * Cell 317.523.8482

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Scott Canaan Sent: Friday, July 17, 2015 9:00 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Oracle 12c Pluggable Databases

I am playing with pluggable databases in Oracle 12c. At this point, I have created the container database and a pluggable database and that works fine. The one big question that I have is:

Is there a way to not install everything that catcdb.sql installs? We normally only install the following:

SQL> select comp_name, version, status from dba_registry;

COMP_NAME

VERSION                        STATUS
------------------------------ -----------
Oracle XML Database
12.1.0.2.0                     VALID

Oracle Database Catalog Views
12.1.0.2.0                     VALID

Oracle Database Packages and Types
12.1.0.2.0                     VALID

SQL> We don't need Java, Spatial, Apex, and all the other things that catcdb.sql installs. It's bad enough that it installs all of that in the container, but then it copies it all to the pluggable database as well. For us, that's just a lot of noise that we just don't use or need.

Scott Canaan '88 (srcdco_at_rit.edu<mailto:srcdco_at_rit.edu>)

(585) 475-7886 - work                (585) 339-8659 - cell
"Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it." - Tom Lehrer

Notice of Confidentiality: **This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Lincoln National Corporation proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to the Lincoln National Corporation family of companies. This E-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and any printout. Thank You.**