Enterprise user security

From: Adams, Matthew (GE Appliances) <"Adams,>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 15:10:40 +0000

I'm taking another swing at setting up Enterprise User Security. If anyone has set up a system like this before, I'd love to compare notes on how to do this.

Right now, what we're contemplating using Microsoft's Active Directory, which necessitates also using Oracle Virtual Directory as a middle layer.

If anyone has done this before, maybe you can answer a few questions for me.

OVD appears to be part of the Fusion Middleware suite. Is a WebSphere installation required to get OVD up and running? How extensive are the changes to the Active Directory schema to be able to handle this setup? Did it make more sense to set up a 1=1 relationship between users and schemas (create user X identified globally as <DN of user in LDAP>) or having users mapped to a shared schema (create user X identified globally)?
Is there any real reason to set up multiple domains for the databases or should I just keep them all in one domain?