Re: asm versus ext3 filesystem on SAN

From: Stefan Koehler <contact_at_soocs.de>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 20:27:15 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Sanjeev,
not quite sure about Pure Storage Flash Arrays, but why do you need to "relocate datafiles to free up space" in case of adding SAN storage to the clients? However in general for SAN devices you have two possibilities to extend the disk space / ASM / filesystem:
  1. Grow published LUN and resize it on client host (usually needs some manual steps in multipathing)
  2. Add new LUN to client host and expand accordingly

Both points can be done with ASM or EXT3 file systems (+LVM) - no need to relocate anything. EXT3 file systems can also be resized online and span over several LUNs with LVM.

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Freelance Oracle performance consultant and researcher Homepage: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: _at_OracleSK