RE: 12c EM Cloud Control Design

From: Courtney Llamas <courtney.llamas_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 13:17:47 -0700 (PDT)

So, you’re not quite looking for Level 4 HA.   I’d recommend reviewing the options for Active/Passive failover  http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24628_01/install.121/e24089/ha_setup.htm#CEGCCCDE .  Assuming your DB will be failed over in a similar fashion (Service Guard, etc?).   You can’t just lose the Repository, it doesn’t work that way… even if you don’t care about history.  You’ll need HA for the OMS + Repository + SWLIB…

From: Steven Andrew [mailto:postora_at_gmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 3:02 PM
To: Niall Litchfield; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: 12c EM Cloud Control Design

I thought my response was delayed before replying to Pete. Apparently, i didn't do Reply all. doh!.

Thanks

Steven.

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 10:25 AM, Steven Andrew <HYPERLINK "mailto:postora_at_gmail.com" \npostora_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks Niall and Pete for your input.

Idea is to have a VM dedicated to host OMS and it's repository (12c DB) to manage targets in site A, separate from application DBs running on 11.2.0.4. Likewise, there will a VM dedicated in site B.

I saw the HA options you pointed out for EM and I was trying avoid EE license for data guard;). For the requirement i have, it is okay to lose historically collected data when we switch sites for monitored targets. If both sites target can't be registered to 2 OMSs, then i guess it leaves me with one option.

Site A

Register all DB/GI targets to Site A's OMS + Site B's Data Guard Standby DB.

Site B

Register all DB/GI targets to Site A's OMS, except Data Guard Standby DB.

HA will be provided at host level using VM cold start failover.

I believe, this approach avoids EM licensing altogether which i need to work with Oracle to triple confirm.

Thanks

Steven.