Re: Database reports for management

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 12:35:42 -0500 (CDT)

Manjula posted:

> Management is requesting weekly database reports. What kind of reports can
> I provide without being too technical? What tools/scripts do you use?

As was already mentioned, more feedback from the requester is needed in order to craft something up. For me, I have an annoying inability to change technical information into non-technical information. So, I've started going the "infographic" route to help me with my malady.

Something like the chart shown on
http://shannonscncjdeblog.blogspot.com/2015/06/infographic-for-go-live.html might be a starting point. Aside from a visual theme deviation issue in that example, it does provide a very quick translation of technical data into business data. That in itself might generate questions and feedback for management who may not know what data is available for them to ask.

I've made mine with DB capacity stats and predictions, and added miscellaneous items like tx/s, uptime, concurrent connections, and replication time to the reporting database. Most of the data supporting it comes from our EM12c repository.

Good luck!

Rich