RE: Job interview questions

From: Iggy Fernandez <iggy_fernandez_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 07:16:19 -0700

Personally, I think certification is a minimum bar. It forces the candidate to study backups, security, high availability, new features, etc. Yes, there are wonderful dentists who never went to dental school (or don't rely on X-rays and modern gadgets) but they are the exceptions that prove the rule. Iggy

Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 08:20:38 -0700
From: raza.siddiqui_at_oracle.com
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
CC: neil_chandler_at_hotmail.com; tkiernan_at_pti-nps.com; dmarc-noreply_at_freelists.org; niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com; Herald.ten.Dam_at_superconsult.nl Subject: Re: Job interview questions

    Been following this thread with
        interest.

        Not sure if I might've missed it, but what role does having some
        sort of certification (OCA, OCP or OCM) have in this equation ?
        In addition, if said certification is not with the latest
        release, does that still have value ?

        Regards

        Raza

    On 6/9/2015 11:02 PM, Neil Chandler
      wrote:

      The most important aspects of a candidate are personality and
        attitude.

      When I was a hiring manager, I used to have the "remote
        office" test; if you hire the candidate and have to work with
        them all week in a remote office with no other human contact; at
        the ending the day will you be happy to go for a beer/meal with
        them or will you feign tiredness and go hide from them in your
        hotel room? This works remarkably well as a yardstick.

      The very best teams I have built have always had a good
        attitude and personality.

      If you like your (potential) colleagues and they exhibit
        competence and have a positive collegiate attitude, hire them.

      Regs

        Neil.
        sent from my phone

        On 9 Jun 2015, at 20:33, TJ Kiernan <tkiernan_at_pti-nps.com>
        wrote:

            Thanks
                everybody for  your insightful responses.  If you have
                more, please keep them coming.

                think I was overly cursory with my description of both
                “skills” and “Oracle trivia.”  The sort of trivia I was
                thinking was along the lines of, “How does Oracle store
                a date?”  Ideally, the candidate can answer correctly,
                but as long as they don’t spout off the NLS default,
                we’re in decent shape and all the better if the
                conversation travels down the implicit conversion is
                evil rabbit hole.

            Evaluating
                a stranger’s personality, technical knowledge, how they
                apply that knowledge under duress, and their willingness
                and ability to learn in the space of an hour (or however
                long it takes) is no small task.  This thread has helped
                me crystallize my thoughts as well as give me some good
                topics of discussion to bring up.

              Thanks,
              T.
                  J.