Re: cron job at linux to remove trace and audit files

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2015 13:24:39 -0500 (CDT)

> Something else that no-one has yet mentioned... I had an instinctive and
> visceral knee jerk reaction when I saw 'rm -rf' running as root.
> Is there any reason it has to run as root and not the database user?

The paranoid in me was wondering of potential issues where trace files of active processes are wiped. Maybe something bad, maybe nothing, or maybe something in between like the file is inaccessible from the directory, but is still able to be written to by the Oracle process and therefore still taking up space.

If it's large individual trace files, maybe a better approach is to use 'find':

find $ADR_HOME/subdir/subdir -name "*.trc" -size +10M

...will only delete trace files larger than 10MB. Standard disclaimer applies.

Just a thought...

Rich