Re: DB2 Partitioned Tables

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 22:46:55 -0400

On 06/08/2015 10:39 AM, Kenny Payton wrote:
> Any db2 experts out there that want to have a side conversation regarding partitioning options. I’ve been pulled into an issue and although I have dabbled in the past it’s been a long time and I’m no expert.
>
> I’m essentially trying to create the equivalent of an Oracle hash based partitioned table but it doesn’t seem to exist. I see range based and also see hash distributed for DPF.
>
> Getting to the root of the problem there is some serious concurrency issues on LOB access that is alleviated by distributing the same workload from 1 table to 16 tables. I’d like to create 16 partitions on the same instance and don’t have a good range key to use.
>
> Thanks,
> Kenny--

Kenny, that is not possible before DB2 10.5. The only option was to use DPF, which is good but is not for everybody. In the version 10.5, there are hash organized tables:

http://www.toadworld.com/platforms/ibmdb2/b/weblog/archive/2012/07/09/db2-hashing-and-hash-organized-tables.aspx

It's not the same as Oracle hash partitioning, but it's similar enough. And I am no DB2 expert, but I do know a thing or two about it. Regards,

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA