Re: Job interview questions

From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 17:25:59 -0400

Hmmm. I am finding the opposite in mt region. I am losing out on opportunities because I am too experienced (too expensive, no doubt).

Its true that I rarely see opportunities for (very) junior DBAs, say zero to 2 years experience. But the bulk of the opportunities I do see are for three to eight years. DBAs with ten years need not apply, it seems. This is especially true for contracting positions, where the client defines a minimum requirement of maybe 3 or 5 years experience, and then selects the lowest bidder meeting the minimum requirements. Very senior DBAs might have to undercut those who have half the experience if they want the work.

Perhaps, though, we just don't see "junior" DBA positions advertised because "junior" DBAs are easy to find -- or to create. If you are willing to accept a DBA with little experience, just grab a promising developer, and send them to OCP school for 3 weeks. :-) There's no need to pay a placement agency for that!

ATT00001