Re: Job interview questions

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2015 21:14:20 -0400

On 06/04/2015 07:20 PM, MacGregor, Ian A. wrote:
> A person who answers a question such as “A ticket is opened stating
> database is unreachable. What do you do?” with I call “networking”,
> does more harm to his chances, than
> a person who does not have everything about Oracle committed to memory.
That is an example of a good question, because it forces the candidate to describe the process. Another good question is: "a call comes in, it's a business analyst who claims that the database is slow. What do you do to resolve the problem?". I also like the questions about the issues encountered in the candidates previous positions, with the procedure used to solve them. There are two things that are essential with the DBA personnel:
  1. The candidate knows and understands the tuning process.
  2. The candidate knows and understands the business process. If at any point the candidate answers with "and then I restart the instance" and does not react to warnings about change control and the approval process, then I know that I have a loose cannon in front of me.

Essentially everything else can be understood ad hoc, from the literature, except the tuning process and the business process. For that, one needs to be well read and have some experience.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA