Re: Job interview questions

From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 16:35:59 -0400

Yes, I think a good interviewer will do this -- as a precise technical question as an "ice breaker", rather than in search of a precise technical answer.

A recent example was "What parameters do you set to adjust the size of the SGA?". In my response I mentioned -- vaguely -- several of the relevant parameters, and explained that I stopped trying to memorize "trivia" like parameter names years ago, because I can almost always find the *correct* value in 5 seconds, with a google search or equivalent. (In this case, the parameters I am interested in probably already appear in the SPFILE.)

I also mentioned that the parameters themselves and the way they interact with one another can change subtly from version to version, so before doing anything radical I usually consult the documentation to refresh my memory. 5 minutes invested up front can save hours of embarrassing downtime!

In some places, my answer would have been considered "wrong", or even ended the interview. In that case, I was offered the position.

picture