Re: Monitoring Standard Edition in EM 12c

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 07:23:28 -0600

On 28/05/2015 10:51 PM, Mladen Gogala (Redacted sender mgogala_at_yahoo.com for DMARC) wrote:
> The only 3rd party plug-in really created by the 3rd party that I
> found was NetApp SANtricity plug-in.

Please check out BlueMedora (http://bluemedora.com/) who create plug-ins for a variety of platforms, including OEM Cloud Control.

That said, many (most?) products in the Oracle portfolio can be monitored using OEM Cloud Control. A blanket statement, which needs to be verified on an individual product basis, is that the core monitoring sing Cloud COntrol for any properly licensed Oracle product, is *probably* included in the license of the product.

Since Oracle's legacy is Database, people tend to think about Cloud Control only for database, but it far exceeds that. I personally use Cloud Control for middle tier, Oracle Linux and Oracle Virtualization, as well as database. Indeed, when I teach an Oracle course - IM, BI, WLS, Linux, OVM - I ask the attendees whether they use Cloud Control, and the most common response is "that is a DBA's tool, isn't it? We're not allowed to access it." (We DBAs are shooting ourselves in the foot with that attitude)

Move beyond the database capabilities of OEM CC into other products in the Oracle stack, and the ability to correlate information across products while troubleshooting - even sticking with the freely included capabilities (as defined in Chapter 10 of the licensing doc found here http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24628_01/index.htm) - is very useful. I also encourage people to read the 'Introduction' of the licensing doc to understand which components (WLS, DB) of OEM CC are included with product licenses.

/Hans